Friday, February 10, 2017

Feedback Focus: Tactics That Help Me

Note-taking:  Pixabay

During class this week, we tried several different ways of taking notes to give good feedback.  I was able to experience each new type of note taking and learn new ways to focus.  In order of helpfulness to me, these tactics were setting a time, copy-and-delete, and reading out loud. 

I started with the reading out loud strategy.  This strategy did not really help me because I have always had a problem with comprehending what I am reading when I read aloud.  I understood the stories better when I was reading them in my head, because instead of focusing on pronouncing the words, I could visualize the story in my head.  I did not care for this strategy, and I will probably not use it to give feedback to my classmates.  I also found it a little awkward to read out loud to nobody. 

My second strategy was copy-and-delete.   I feel that this strategy would work well with longer stories or when I am trying to make a very substantial comment.  With this strategy, I had a hard time finding something to comment on in some paragraphs, and in others there was too much.  When I combined my notes from each paragraph, my comment appeared a little disjointed as well.  I like this strategy because it keeps me on track and makes me notice the little details.  I will probably use this strategy on longer stories that I am giving feedback on. 

Finally, my favorite strategy that I learned was to set a timer.  I really liked this strategy because it kept me focused for a full 20 minutes.  When I set a timer, I found that I did not get distracted as much by things going on around me or by my phone.  I like this strategy because I can read the story in my head, and then reread it, or just reread the interesting parts.  I will definitely use this strategy when I do the majority of my project feedback comments for my classmates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment