Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Week 7 Story Planning: The Mahabharata Epified Plans

Space:  Pixabay

Source:  Epified Mahabharata Link to Video

For my next story I want to focus on the rivalry between the five brothers and the one hundred brothers.  I think I want rewrite their backstories with a twist.  It is interesting to me that the 100 brothers were described as demonic and they have a father who is blind and a mother who gave up her sight.  I want to explore why they are presented in an evil way- was it because they were not watched very well as children?  Is it because their father was greedy in wanting to inherit the throne? 

Additionally I would like to explore the backstory of the five brothers.  Are they presented as good just because their fathers were all gods?  What kind of special powers do they have because they were born from gods. It would be fun to develop each character and find out what each one can specialize in. 

This story could be interesting from sci-fi perspective.  The two sets of brothers could be from different planets.  The five brothers could easily be human or they could be descendants of gods from five other planets.  The 100 brothers could all be from the same planet and it could be a dark moon or it could be a planet with an evil god ruling it. 

The family tree in this version of the Mahabharata is much easier to understand, and now that I am following the storyline a little bit better I would like to incorporate this into my story.  I could also incorporate the mothers in the story and they could be from different planets or they could be from some of the same ones.  It would be easy to line up the different heirs to the throne and their families as rulers of different planets in an intergalactic space battle.  I mostly want to focus on the 100 brothers but I think this could be a cool twist. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sydney,

    I think that this sounds like a really interesting idea! I always like when people talk about families. There is so much room for creative writing. I think that you could do a lot with this. You could really describe each character as their own and that would make the story really great! I look forward to reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you are off to a great start! I read that story when I was going through the readings and I think you have a good grasp on how you want to redo your story! The picture you picked is very pretty and seems pretty suitable for what you’re talking about! I can’t wait to read you story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sydney,

    I like where you are beginning to go with your story. I think you will create a story worth reading. I think it would be cool to go with the brothers from a different planet. Also like using how the super heroes we know and love are from different planets, as well as the bad guys. Also maybe you could incorporate the background information on each of the planets that the brothers could be from. You could describe it in great detail and really get your readers invested in the story. Other than that I think you are doing really well at understanding the story and adding your own twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some great graphic novels over the fantasy aspect of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata I suspect you would enjoy. I believe there are even some that are placed a several thousand years in the future, with mass wars fought with advanced technology. I think that would be something you could draw inspiration from for you story.

    ReplyDelete