Monday, February 13, 2017

Story Planning week 5: The Mahabharata with a Twist

Five Brothers as Superheroes:  Flickr

This week I decided to go with story planning because I am having a harder time following the Mahabharata.  I have had a few ideas from my notes that I want to expand upon.  I want to focus on a small part of the story and turn it into a larger story. 

I really liked the part of the book that described the five brothers.  I could start a story that revolves around them and their adventures.  I found the part where they all married the same girl interesting because in the Ramayana, the men had multiple wives but not vice-versa.  This was an interesting twist, and I thought it could be interesting to highlight that in my story. 

When I googled "five brothers" for my image on this post, this superhero image came up.  I thought it could be an interesting twist if all of the five brothers were superheroes and they were all fighting to save the same damsel in distress.  This could also incorporate the part about the miracle where someone was trying to take her clothes, but they just kept reappearing. 

Perhaps in this idea some of the brothers are heroes and some are villains.  It could be funny to see them fighting back and forth over her, and maybe I could give her a really sassy attitude to where she doesn't even want to be saved in the first place. 

I may not go with the superhero idea, but instead just a modern day idea that focuses on the dress miracle.  Maybe this girl was a nerd and she went to prom and someone pulled the stereotypical drop-a-bucket-of-something-gross-on-the-nerd-girl move.  This girl could find out that she has a secret talent for making magic dresses that always appear when you need them.  She could open a store and help lots of other girls who are picked on and nobody would know what was going on. 

These are a few of my ideas so far, but hopefully the second half of the book will add to them.  I hope I can get a good story out of the Mahabharata.  I was pretty proud of some of my stories from the Ramayana, so hopefully this one will turn out good too!

Source:  Nayaran's Mahabharata:  Link to Reading Guide

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sydney!
    I absolutely loved how you connected the five Pandava brothers to the image above. That would definitely be an interesting story to read! Your planning seems very concrete, and very well structured. It looks like you've already done Week 6, so I may just consider checking out what you ended up writing about! The Mahabharata can be tricky to understand, but if you look on YouTube there are several videos on the Mahabharata that may help you give a better understanding of what is happening. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sydney,

    I also had trouble following the Mahabharata. I believe it was kind of all over the place. However, my favorite part of the story was also the Pandava brothers. The fact that all of them married one girl was kind of mind blowing. I like the idea of the superhero brothers saving one girl. I also like the idea about this nerd girl being able to magically reappear clothes on herself. I wish I had that power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I also found the Mahabharata difficult to follow. I had to stick to one of the side stories in there and go off of that. I think your idea is great. It is a very interesting idea and I personally love superheroes. It really is kind of unusual to see the tides turn where the guys marry one girl. I am looking forward to your story!

    ReplyDelete