Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

Growth:  Pixabay

I have a love/hate relationship with Growth Mindset.  I like the idea and I think it is especially helpful for little kids, but since I never used it growing up, I find it hard to use on myself.  I definitely think I have grown up using some of the characteristics of the program but I still get frustrated sometimes when I am doing something difficult- who doesn't? 

I think I do a lot of the things on the chart in the directions here, but there are some things I don't do very well and need to improve on.  I usually try to do my best work which is above the bare minimum.  I am usually pretty self motivated because I know where the goal is but it can be harder for me when the goal is not in sight.  I am bad about staying in my comfort zone and I need to work on that by trying new things.  I am also bad about focusing on grades- I always want to keep my grades up and I am unhappy with my grades when they aren't good even when I am learning.  However I think that when you are learning the grades are high as a result.  I am not comfortable with change and that is something that I need to work on in school and in life.  If I can try more new things little by  little perhaps I will get used to new things.  I think I have taken a long term view and set good goals for myself and I am working hard on reaching them.  I could work on taking more risks and being more confident, especially when I am writing stories.  I could also work on trying to do harder things and expecting to work hard on them.  I like to do my work and get it done so I have a hard time choosing to do something that is more difficult than it needs to be.  I am usually pretty good about working ahead and not leaving things to the last minute so I don't think I really need to work on that.  I get excited about school when it is a subject that interests me and I am really hoping I get into the dietetics program I applied for because it will be full of subject matter I am truly interested in.  This class has helped me to learn to be open to all feedback, not just positive feedback.  I have also learned that I can learn from my peers and from my mistakes.  I have also learned that I can make a lot of progress in a little amount of time, but I still need to learn to ask more questions. 

Overall, growth mindset is a little bit mixed up for me.  I feel like I have accomplished some of the things that are good for me from this technique, and there are others that I could definitely work on. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand the mixed feelings for this. I am the same way. Something I will add though is the aspect of positivity we as humans from other humans. Sometimes the best way for us to be productive or enhance our abilities are to hear people encourage us. Our views on what we do is limited to the first person, but other peoples insights and encouragement and critical, positive feedback can help us understand the views outside ourselves. I believe that was something you were getting at.

    ReplyDelete