Friday, January 20, 2017

Reading Notes: The Ramayana part C

Narayan's Ramayana: Link to Reading Guide

Book and Flowers Pixabay

Vali- Sugreeva's brother-forced out his brother and stole his wife (monkey)
Sugreeva- Vali's brother- forced to leave his community by his brother (monkey)
Hanuman- giant monkey- goes to try to help save Sita
Rama

I may want to continue my story from last week, or I might start something completely new.  I want to see how this book ends, so after reading 2 I will know for sure.  Meanwhile in section C of the book, here are some good ideas to go off of: 

The concept of 7.  It says that Rama shot an arrow that went through 7 worlds, seas, and 7 trees. 
The concept of a really powerful arrow. 
Dundubi- a monster/demon who looks like a buffalo
Sita dropped her jewelry down to show where they were taking her

It is interesting how the men in this book will not listen to their wives but sometimes the wives are smarter.  It would be fun to write something from the perspective of the women in the story.  There are a lot of strong women in this section of the book.  I also wonder what Sita would be thinking and doing on her end to try to get back to Rama.  Although she is portrayed as beautiful and not much else, I am sure she would not be as helpless as the book makes her out to be.  Maybe she is a really strong and powerful woman.  Maybe she has secret training to get out of situations like this.  She was a princess after all, maybe she was raised with secret talents to help keep her safe and to prepare her to help lead a city.  Maybe I will write this as a reflection of the last story I wrote using the New York City Sita, or maybe I will use this book more directly. 

The Rakshasa women guard Sita and try to frighten her.  She is wearing rags and dust and does not let them intimidate her.  Sita refuses the advances of Ravana and gives Hanuman her last piece of jewelry to give to Rama. 

No comments:

Post a Comment