Sunday, January 29, 2017

Storytelling: Rama in New York part 2





"Rama... seriously where are you...?"

I literally cannot take this much longer.  I've been trapped in this stupid stinky warehouse for like eight days.  I could easily free myself from this little enclosure, but it would be a lot easier if my stupid boyfriend Rama would just hurry his butt up and get here to help me out.  I just need a distraction, and someone strong, but there is nothing here to help me. 

So this is basically what happened: Rama had a brother who got into drugs, killed their rich CEO father to pay a debt, framed Rama- who then went to jail, and then Rama framed a girl who came to see him (the sister of the drug dealer that his brother owed a debt to) and then he was released.  Unfortunately, now the big scary guy that is brother owed money, Ravana, has kidnapped me and he thinks he is gonna keep me here forever until I say I will do whatever he wants- which is NOT gonna happen.  I'm a smart girl, and I can find my way out of here- however, what I have in smarts I lack in strength, so I still need Rama's help.  He will be here any minute though.  When I got kidnapped I dropped jewelry from my piercings on the ground and I am sure he will find the trail and easily find me- then the real fun will begin. 

Jewelry Online Design

Wait... what was that noise??

"Sita!!"

What?? Where was that coming from?? It was his voice but I couldn't see him! "Rama?? Where are you??" I harshly whispered. 

"I'm up here!" He yelled from the ceiling- he had snuck in through a small hole in an air duct and he was crawling on the beams in the high ceiling.  "I'm going to go after Ravana- here use this knife to free yourself and we will get out of here" He said, dropping me a small pocket knife I could use to cut the ties around my feet. 

Rama crawled through the beams to the next room where Ravana was, and I could see through the crack in the door what was happening.  Rama was way outnumbered- there were like 7 big guys besides just Ravana.  But Rama had the advantage- he was a good shot and they still didn't know that he was there.  Unfortunately Rama is a boy and he is not the brightest- he jumped down into the middle of the circle and went directly for Ravana.  All of Ravana's henchmen grabbed at Rama and before he knew it he was no longer winning. 

I knew I had to do something- so I looked around the room for things to use.  I found some pretty heavy old pieces of machinery that I could use to throw at the guys holding Rama back.  I did, and fortunately it hit them both hard enough and in the right spot, and they passed out.  Rama took this advantage and pulled out his gun.  Like I said- he was a good shot, so he hit Ravana right away, but it took several shots to take him down.  We were going to quickly take care of the henchmen and get out of there- but as soon as Ravana was dead, they all surrendered.  Turns out that Ravana had kidnapped the majority of them, or they had owed him debts and they were happy to see him gone. 

Eventually Ravana's sister got herself out of jail in the same way that Rama did- she made a plea deal for information on some other big drug guy in New York City.  We made sure we didn't see her again- we moved across town and changed our names.  We haven't really been bothered lately by anyone and it has been pretty nice.  Rama's remaining brother, Lakshmana, has taken over his father's old company, and he has so much money he doesn't know what to do with it all- so he takes care of us and we provide him with safety from the bad people in NYC.  It worked out pretty well overall- we are all happy and I am just SO glad that we got out safe from the threat of Ravana.  I'm sure Rama and I will run into more challenges- but there's nothing we can't handle!


AUTHOR'S NOTE:  This story is based on the second half of Nayaran's Ramayana (Link to Reading Guide).  The names have been kept the same, and some of the plot ideas, but the story has been twisted to a New York City setting.  My version of the story has two parts- the first part can be found under week 2 storytelling on my blog. 

2 comments:

  1. This an interesting continuation to the original story that you wrote. I know enough about the Ramayana to know about the story you were telling. I really love how you switched perspectives for the second half of the story. I also think it’s great how you explained Sita’s unwillingness to escape on her own without making her a dependant character. I really thought this was a cool extension to the story. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of writing the story in this version - well done to you! What gave you the inspiration to write such a story? It is reminds me of a CSI or other crime story. You are very descriptive in your writing and I enjoyed reading your story - it makes it very interesting for the reader and easy to engage.

    ReplyDelete