Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Time Strategies

The Persistence of Memory by Salvador Dali 1931 (Flickr.com)

Time can be difficult to budget, especially when you are in college.  There are a million things happening in every class at all times.  With the addition of technology, we have become constantly connected. Assignments are no longer due during class times, but often the night before or the night after at midnight.  It is hard to keep up with everything, but everyone eventually falls into their own strategies for success. 

In order to keep myself organized, I have always liked to make lists.  It helps me so much to check those boxes off and scribble the words out so I don't have to worry about them anymore.  In high school, I worried about my assignments so much I actually had to black out the words when I was done so I wouldn't keep double checking myself! Now I have found that it is much easier to make a list that is written in colors that keep me happy and motivated!  For this reason, I read this blog The Psychology of Checklists.  It was really interesting because it explained to me why I love making lists so much! They keep me organized first and foremost, but they also trigger dopamine reward zones in our brains that cause us to feel happy and accomplished.  The blog goes on to explain that this feeling makes us want to accomplish more and more, so we keep working and getting things done!

This semester I will use a lot of my same strategies to stay organized and ahead of those deadlines! I will obviously keep using my lists, but I also find working ahead to be particularly helpful.  I also like to sit down and do a lot of work in one chunk of time.  I hope to finish this class early, and I will try to stay ahead as much as I can in my other classes as well, making time to do my homework in large chunks, and keeping up with my checklists! Most of my work for this class in particular (and maybe for some of my other classes as well) will probably be done Fridays- when I don't have any classes.  I'll work between classes during the week and after class.  Although this will be my busiest semester yet, I know I can handle it, and graduation is just around the corner!

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, I definitely like making lists too! It keeps me organized and it is so satisfying to cross every thing off and see that you finished. I like that you used colors to make it more fun and rewarding! You definitely have worked ahead! (like 2 weeks ahead, I'm kind of jealous) I am trying to get ahead right now. That must be really helpful to have a whole day with no classes so you can work on the assignments for this class! Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working ahead is one of the best ways to advance productivity. Or at least that is something true about myself I have discovered, and for this class specifically. I agree also about the lists; there is something deeply satisfying about a long list that you can mark though and establish as complete. Some sort of psychological pleasure trigger I suppose.

    ReplyDelete